Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I'm crying a river right now...

I'm so happy!!! Charlie has been smiling a lot and cooing some. It's exciting, but in the past two days, she's just been so...*expressive*. Yesterday, she smiled more than ever before and normally, her smiles are short because she can't seem to hold them for every long so it goes like this: smile, droop, smile, droop, and so on. But she was holding these little grins for like 5 seconds at a time! Yesterday, she interacted with me for about 6 or 7 minutes. You have to realize that 5 minutes of this is extremely tiring for her. She passes out for like an hour after "playtime".

So today she woke up from her nap. I set her up in my lap and suctioned her. I was playing around on the computer and she cooed *loudly* and smiled at me! She initiated interaction! I thought she smiled spontaneously at me once last week, but I wasn't so sure, maybe she just made a funny face. Today it was definitely real. So I started playing with her and she was just cooing up a storm and smiling so much it was unbelieveable! After about 6 or 7 minutes, she started to look sleepy (see, she just woke up and after 5 minutes, she's tired again) so I layed her back in my arms in a cradle position and she tried to sit herself back up! Of course, she doesn't have a lot of strength, so she didn't succeed at this, but it was clear that she was NOT done playing with me. So I played for a few more minutes until she fell back asleep.

It's so strange. These are the things you just don't think about with a typical baby. You take for granted that they will smile and interact with you, usually by about 6 weeks. And once they start smiling, of course you are happy, but you get used to all the smiling and well...you just don't think about it anymore. It just is. Babies smile. But I was so disappointed when Charlie regressed before. I'm enjoying every smile like it's her very first. :-)

No comments: