Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More bibs!

I'm having so much fun making these! And they fit her so much better too. In the pics in the post below this you can see how stretched out the necks of the other ones get after just wearing them once or twice. In my bibs, I use the same elastic as I use in the diapers I make so I know for a fact that she will be able to wear them a 100 times before they lose any of their stretchiness.

Old recieving blanket, outgrown bath towel, and fleece leftover from the last poncho I made her.

Close-up! Aren't they adorable?

Left over fabric from my diaper-making supplies, an outgrown bathtowel, and fleece scraps a friends gave me!

They are super easy to make. I don't even use a tape measure. I just cut 2 rectangles approx 10"x13" and use a formula lid to draw the hole for her head (draw about 3/4" away from the lid so it's big enough). Then I cut 1-1 1/2" strips of fleece so the stretchy part is in the width, not the length. I splice the pieces together to make one long piece if they are just scraps. Then I fold it over the edge of the bib and sew with a straight stitch. Once I'm done with one side, I trim the excess fleece away. Repeat with the other 3 sides. Then I cut my elastic. I just wrapped it around Charlie's neck and cut an approximate amount. then you tack it down to the back of the neck opening and stretch it while you sew with a zig-zag. Then fold the fleece binding around the elastic and stretch as you sew. Trim away the excess. And you are done!

My next project will be fixing all the store bought ones so they are actually useful. ;-)

No comments: